Thursday, September 29, 2011

Set Backs

Just wanted to let y'all know we are still alive and kickin' and still working on Daisy.  We've had a couple of set backs with her over the past couple of weeks and so it seems like nothing's been accompolished......nothing real exciting, anyway.

As you all know, almost every part in Daisy has been replaced, rebuilt or redone in some shape or fashion.  Well, wouldn't cha know it, two of the parts that weren't replaced, rebuilt or redone turned out to be bad after Roger made a little test drive in Daisy the other day.  

One of the bad parts was Daisy's oil pump.  And get this.... apparently, there's been a run on 1931 Ford oil pumps here lately, so, no replacements were to be found.  I know.  Hard to believe.

After days of internet searching, Roger was finally able to locate a rebuilt one in Denver. While waiting for it to be delivered, Roger has been busy removing the oil pan (I'm told this is a nasty, dirty, yucky job) and cleaning it up.  I think he's about got that finished, so, hopefully, he can get the old oil pump removed and the new one put in this weekend.



In case y'all have ever wondered what happens to old, worn out Model A parts, take a look at the picture above.  That's Roger and me with our friends, the Casey's, in Fredericksburg, Texas trying to unload sell some of those parts.  At the Casey's invitation, we went to something called a "swap meet" and that's a whole 'nother story........






Sunday, September 18, 2011

Installing a Windshield

Installing a windshield..........
         all it takes is a tin can, two rolls of duct tape, four clamps, some glue, a long piece of wood and the help of a good friend.


Saturday, September 10, 2011

My bad.


In my last post I mentioned Roger installed these wooden rails on the pickup bed.  I kind of gave Roger a hard time about completing a step that wasn't listed on "The Plan."

Guess I figured there were already so many steps (83 to be exact), he didn't need to be working on a step that wasn't listed!

Truthfully,  I wasn't really thinking that.  I was just trying to give Roger a hard time about leaving a step off and as it turns out, I should have never have mentioned it.

When Roger finished reading my blog update, he picked up our print out of "The Plan" and politely pointed to an item toward the end of the list.  And there it was.... step #66.  Cut and install bed rails.

Whoops.  My bad.  Sorry Roger.  I quickly drew a line through it to show it had been completed.




A few other things were completed this week, too.  Roger got the wooden floor board and rubber mat cut and fitted into place.  Looking at the picture above, I think I see the new gear shift knob.  It's got Ford written in the blue area with a circle of silver around it....Bling!!




Not only are Daisy's headlights wired up and ready to go, so are her sexy, little cowl lights.




Her tail lights are working and the back license plate is on!

Her blinkers are back in business again, too, and this time, they've been wired up with this nifty little noise maker on them.

For those of you who own Model A's, you know how hard it is to hear the blinker.  And since you can't hear it, you can't remember to turn it off.  I can't tell you the number of times we've turned into a restaurant parking lot, got out and walked in only to have the other club members, who were already seated and watching our arrival out the window, stand up and yell "blinkers!" 

Anyway, now that Daisy's blinkers make a lot of noise, maybe we can remember to turn them off and save ourselves some embarrassment upon restaurant arrivals.  See what you think....



Blinkers! from Joy Banks on Vimeo.




Monday, September 5, 2011

According to Plan

Things are getting done according to our "83 Step Plan on How to Reassemble Daisy."

A few days ago, Roger and Dave got together and installed Daisy's rear fenders.



That's Dave applying the welting that goes on the side of the pickup bed before the fender is attached to it. That welting is tricky stuff.  Dave had to hold his mouth just right to get it to lay down correctly.  It was hard work. It required wearing a sweat band.




I'm not quite sure what Roger is doing in this picture. I'm not sure I even want to know. Suffice it to say, the rear fenders got installed.  Step #49 can be marked off the plan!




Roger also spent some time getting the wooden rails installed on the pickup bed.




Unless these fall under step #44 to "Install Wood in Bed," this step wasn't listed on the plan. Just sayin'.